Several route changes are going into effect on July 1st, 2015.
- Night Service 11:45 PM (Last) Trip - 10:45 PM will be the last trip on all Night Service routes. Buses will return to the Transfer Center at 11:45 PM, but will take passengers no further.
- Historic Sites - Passengers can ride Route 1 (North 5th) and Route 5 (North Walnut).
- Route 19 - Will be replaced with a morning supplemental route that departs the downtown Transfer Center at 7:20 AM and an afternoon supplemental that departs the Sangamon County Regional Office of Education (SCROE) at 4:30 PM. The schedules are as follows:
|Transfer Center A||SCROE||SoS||IDOT|
|7:20 AM||7:35 AM||7:40 AM||7:50 AM|
|SCROE||SoS||IDOT||Transfer Center A|
|4:30 PM||4:35 PM||4:45 PM||5:00 PM|
- Southwind Park - A stop at the park is added to the Route 15 (S. 11th / UIS / LLCC) on Saturdays. Passengers riding the northern two-thirds of the route can ride the Route 10 (Laketown / Southern View). In addition to eliminating a low-performing route, this change makes travel to and from Southwind Park easier for UIS and LLCC students.
- State Fair - Passengers can ride Route 1 (North 5th) and Route 2 (North 9th) on Monday-Saturday.
- Willard Ice Supplemental Tripper - Passengers can ride Route 4 (West Jefferson).
- Park Tower Supplemental Tripper - Passengers can ride Route 14 (Wabash / Prairie Crossing) both ways on 2nd / Allen.
- Christ the King Supplemental Tripper - Route 14 (Wabash / Prairie Crossing) can be utilized on Barberry & Chatham Road.
- Country Club to SHS (AM) Supplemental Tripper - Route 18 (Lawrence / Knox Knolls) will take to College & Monroe and Route 7 (West Washington / White Oaks Mall) will take to Monroe & Walnut or Monroe & Lewis.
- Carl Sandburg (PM) Supplemental Tripper - Route 13 (Sherwood Plaza) inbound stop at Kirkley Lane.
Combined School Supplemental Trippers
- Add SHS (East Cook) Tripper to SHS (MLK / South 15th)
- Add Laketown (SEHS) Tripper to Southern View (SEHS)
- Add SEHS (Laketown) Tripper to (SEHS) Southern View
State Holiday Hours
Buses will run in Saturday Service format on the following holidays:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 18th)
- Lincoln's Birthday (February 12)
- Washington's Birthday / Presidents Day (3rd Monday of February)
- Veterans Day (November 11)
These and other planned service changes can be found on our Service Calendar.
The changes were the first recommendations of what SMTD staff plans to make an annual occurrence, utilizing analyses of passenger counts on each route and implementation of performance standards to produce the most efficient service possible for Springfield. That is not to say that routes will be eliminated every year.
"No one enjoys eliminating routes," said Managing Director Frank Squires, "but the reality is that, by reducing these clear inefficiencies, we are now in a much better position to provide better service and passenger amenities moving forward. By constantly evaluating our service, we can make any necessary annual adjustments to keep us providing the best service possible with the resources available to us without too often inconveniencing our passengers, and we can more easily add service in the future if we’re operating at maximum efficiency."
Other changes made by SMTD will be publicized at dates closer to when they will affect passengers, such as State Fair service closer to the opening of the Illinois State Fair, school supplemental route changes closer to the first day of school later this summer and reduced service hours on certain state holidays.