Daytime SMTD fixed-route buses operate in the Springfield area from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday-Saturday. Regular routes start from and return to the downtown area.
Four night service routes operate Monday through Friday. The first bus leaves the transfer center on Washington Street between 5th and 6th at 6:45 p.m. The last bus leaves at 10:45 p.m., ending its trip back at the transfer center.
When your destination cannot be reached by traveling one bus route, ask the driver for a transfer when you pay the fare. Transfers are free and are good for the next scheduled bus wherever bus routes meet.
All SMTD buses are lift-equipped. Most buses also have a kneeling feature that lowers the step distance from the ground level. You should request this if you want the kneeling feature.
People with disabilities who are unable to use SMTD buses may ride Access Sangamon after receiving certification from SMTD.
Buses are NOT in service on following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Buses will run in limited service (Saturday schedule) on the following holidays:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 18th)
- Lincoln's Birthday (February 12)
- Washington's Birthday / Presidents Day (3rd Monday of February)
- Veterans Day (November 11)
These and other upcoming service changes are listed on our Service Calendar.
SMTD's schedule data is used by a variety of web and mobile apps that make planning a transit trip easier than ever! Just enter your origin and destination and they'll take care of the rest!
Get Help by Phone
If you need help reading the bus schedule or finding the nearest bus stop, phone SMTD dispatch at (217) 522-5531 for assistance. Be prepared to indicate:
- where you are
- where you want to go
- what time you want to arrive at your destination
- when you want to return
- Arrive at the bus stop a few minutes early. Wait for the bus near the street corner, passenger shelter, or bus stop sign. Do not wait in the middle of the block.
- Have your pass or exact cash fare ready. Drivers do not sell passes or carry change. Click here for fare information.
- Use the rear door to exit. By exiting at the rear door, people waiting to board the bus can enter immediately. This allows the bus to move faster and keep schedule.
- Keep aisles and exits clear. Blocking aisles or exits can slow down the bus. Keep packages, bags, or luggage on your lap or between your feet on buses to avoid blocking aisles.